This week’s #SundaySupper theme is about recipes inspired by holiday music, movies or TV shows. As I recalled some of my favorite Christmas memories, the first memory that popped into my head was the movie “Christmas Story”. The movie is hilarious, but what made it special for me is that I used to watch it with my kids every year. As I was having that flashback, I found myself listening to my favorite Christmas song, and feeling emotional. The song gets me every year. Year after year. It’s a song that is beautiful, meaningful, soulful and brimming with the holiday spirit. The song is “This is Christmas” by Luther Vandross.
The many joyous memories evoked by a “Christmas Story”, and the message of faith, and hope are what Christmas is all about for me!
You can check out the song here (WARNING – 90’s hair and attire in full effect;-)
Aside from the message of the song, what I’ve always appreciated about it is that it’s some original contemporary Christmas music. Don’t get me wrong, I love the classics, but I can only stand hearing “Jingle Bells” sung some many different ways. So for me, it’s refreshing to add something fresh to my holiday play list. Check out the lyrics here.
What song “gets” you this time of year…every year?
And of course family, food and traditions are also what the holidays are about! Check out this week’s wondrous holiday themed recipes from the #SundaySupper family and my wine pairing recommendations.
Pair these party appetizers and snacks with an off-dry (slightly sweet) bubbly. Try Chandon Extra-Dry Riche, a wonderful blend of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, Chardonnay, and a touch of Muscat with a peach, nectarine, honey, apricot character.
- Oven-Roasted Applesauce Scented with Rosemary & Vanilla-Inspired by the song “Christmas in the Trenches”– Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Chestnuts Inspired by the movie “The Christmas Song” – Food Lust People Love
- A Popcorn Trio Inspired by the song “Let it Snow” – Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Chai Tea Abominable Snow Buddies Inspired by the movie “Rudolph” – Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raisin Bran Muffins for a Crowd Inspired by the movie “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” – In The Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Icicle Candy and Reindeer Snacks Inspired by the movie “Snow” – Treats & Trinkets
- A Christmas Carol Plum Pudding Inspired by the movie “A Christmas Carol” – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Yukon Mashed Potato Cakes Inspired by the movie “Rudolph” – Cookin’ Mimi
- Christmas Pudding Inspired by the song “Over the River and Through the Woods” – A Kitchen Hoor
- Pumpkin Pudding Inspired by the movie “Nightmare Before Christmas” – Basic N Delicious
- Elf-Inspired Christmas “Grams” Inspired by the movie “Elf” – MarocMama
- Sugarplums Inspired by the movie “The Nutcracker” – Happy Baking Days
- Chai Spiced Roasted Nuts Inspired by the song “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire” – Take A Bite Out of Boca
Festive Main Dishes
Pair this classic salad with Sauvignon Blanc. One of my favorites is the 2012 Ferrari-Carano Sonoma County Fumé Blanc. It has a delicious candied grapefruit, meyer lemon, herbal and mineral laced character. It exhibit a compelling combination of vibrant acidity and subtle oak notes that adds depth and some body.
- Classic Caesar Salad Inspired by the movie “The Santa Clause” – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Pair these dishes with an off-dry Riesling. One of my favorites is the 2012 Chateau Ste. Michelle-Dr. Loosen Riesling Columbia Valley Eroica – It’s off-dry with vibrant acidity and a beautiful white peach, grapefruit and mineral character.
- Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes Inspired by the song “Christmas Is The Time To Say ‘I Love You’ ” –
Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Christmas Waffles Inspired by the TV special “A Claymation Christmas Celebration” – Curious Cuisiniere
- Ginger Orange Glazed Cornish Hens Inspired by the song “The 12 Days of Christmas” –Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chicken Orzo Soup Inspired by the song “12 Days of Christmas” – Family Foodie
- NY Hot Dog with Sabrett-style Onion Sauce Inspired by the movie “Die Hard” – Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Pair these dishes with a red Rhône blend. I recently featured the 2011 M. Chapoutier Côtes du Roussillon Villages Les Vignes de Bila-Haut as the Wine of the Week on my blog. It’s a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Carignan with a supple texture and a black cherry, red currant, blackberry, and mineral character. It’s $10 at Costco.
- Individuals Meatloaves & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes for Mommy’s Little Piggies – Inspired by the movie “A Christmas Story” – The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Who Hash Inspired by the movie “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” –girlichef
You KNOW with a names like “Filthy Animal Pizza” and “Maple Syrup Spaghetti” these dishes needs a big wine. Pair this insanely delicious unique dishes with the 2010 Michael David Winery Petite Petit, a big, bold blend of 85% Petite Sirah, and Petit Verdot with a full-bodied, savory plum, and vanilla spice character.
- Filthy Animal Pizza Inspired by the movie “Home Alone” – Foxes Love Lemons
- Maple Syrup Spaghetti– Inspired by the movie “Elf”- Momma’s Meals
Pair these desserts with a late harvest Riesling. I like the 2011 Navarro Late Harvest Cluster Select Riesling. It has a great apricot, pear, pineapple, honey and baking spice character, with a long finish. And its crisp acidity keeps from being cloying.
- Gin and Tonic Cupcakes Inspired by Adam Sandler’s ” The Chanukah Song” – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Gingerbread Marshmallows Inspired by the song “Marshmallow World” – Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Snowball Cookies – Inspired by the movie “White Christmas” –The Foodie Army Wife
- South Pacific Coconut Tres Leche Cake Inspired by the movie “South Pacific” –The Ninja Baker
Pair these desserts with Port. Look for Warre’s “Otima” 10-year-old Tawny Port. It’s a rich tawny port with a toffee, caramel, honey and dried fruits character.
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars Inspired by the movie “Love Actually” – Magnolia Days
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies Inspired by the movie “The Gremlins” – Killer Bunnies, Inc
- White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Inspired by the song “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” – Alida’s Kitchen
- Penuche Fudge Inspired by the movie “Elf” – Pies and Plots
- Hot Chocolate Cookies Inspired by the movie “Santa Clause” – Mess Makes Food
- Cookies & Cream Fudge Inspired by the movie “Elf” – The Messy Baker
- Toasted Coconut Hot Cocoa– Inspired by the song “Let It Snow”– Chocolate Moosey
- The Christmas Gram Inspired by the movie “Elf” – An Appealing Plan
- Eggnog Hot Chocolate Inspired by the movie “National Lampoons Christmas Vacation” – Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Vermont Hot Cocoa Inspired by the movie “White Christmas” – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Spiked Hot Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Floats Inspired by the song “Holly Jolly Christmas “ –NeighborFood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.