I’m a relative newcomer to the #SundaySupper movement, but I can tell you it’s made a difference in my life. A few years ago when my wife I were first married, we made it a point to try to cook a nice meal on Sunday, break out a “weekend” bottle of wine and invite friends or family by to share a meal and good wine with us. Somehow over the last couple of years we’ve gotten away from doing this. Instead we’ve been dining out more. Since I’ve been a part of #SundaySupper – offering wine pairing recommendations for the fabulous recipes – that’s changing!
I truly enjoy offering wine pairing recommendations, and seeing all the wonderfully creative recipes, and the stories that often accompany them, has been an inspiration to me. It has rekindled my desire to prepare a nice meal on Sundays. It’s something my wife and I can do together to connect after a hectic week. We’ve already tried a few of the recipes, and look forward to trying many more!
Here is this week’s line up of great recipes, along with my wine pairing recommendations…
- Blueberry Muffins by Magnolia Days - I recommend a Riesling for these muffins. They have enough residual sugar to stand up to the sweet goodness of the muffins, and the acidity will cleanse the palate after each bite! I recommend the 2010 Columbia Crest Two Vines Riesling. SRP – $8
- Korean Ribs – Alaska Camping Edition with MrsMamaHen - Ribs and Zinfandel are made for each other! Pair with the 2010 McManis Family Zinfandel. SRP – $12
- Fresh Corn on the Cob by In the Kitchen with Audrey - Chardonnay would be a great match for corn on the cob. Look for Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Gold Label Monterey County Chardonnay. SRP – $16
- Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado by Basic n Delicious – This salad would be delightful with a sparkling wine. One of my favorites is Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut. SRP – $20
- Shallot BBQ Shredded Beef by Juanita’s Cocina - l bet this would be delightful with a Merlot. Look for Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Merlot. SRP – $23
- Taking #SundaySupper Outdoors With a Fun Picnic…Featuring Spicy Pinto and Black Bean Salad with Roasted Corn and Avocado by The Weekend Gourmet - Pair with the 2010 Columbia Crest Two Vines Riesling.
- On Top of Our Game with Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars by The Watering Mouth
- Chicken & Dumplings Around the Campfire by Daily Dish Recipes - Pair with a Chardonnay. Lood for the Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Gold Label Monterey County Chardonnay. SRP – $16
- Wine & Food Festivals; a lifestyle the whole family can enjoy! by Wine Everyday
- Outdoor Grilling Filipino Rice Cakes in Coconut & Banana Leaves by The Queen’s Notebook - Pair with a sweeter Riesling like the 2010 FlipFlop Riesling. SRP – $7
The inspiration and recipes don’t stop there, we have more reasons to celebrate wine, food, friends and #SundaySupper and you don’t want to miss these great posts and recipes:
- Embracing Old Family Traditions while Creating New Ones ~ Enchiladas de Chile y Ajo by Girlichef - Pair with a juicy fruit forward Grenache from Spain. One of my favorites is the 2010 Altovinum Calatayud Evodia Old Vines Garnacha. This also a red wine that can take a chill! SRP-$10
- The Embassy´s Nut Crescents by Vintage Kitchen Notes - Pair with the 2010 FlipFlop Riesling.
- Chicken Curry Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite - Pair with the 2010 Columbia Crest Two Vines Riesling.
- Prosecco Sangria by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again - I’m going to HAVE to try this one!
- Grilled Campfire Steak with Bleu Cheese Sauce by The Messy Baker - This mouth-watering recipe would be great with a blend of red grapes that love the grill and will complement the Bleu Cheese sauce. I recommend the 2010 Concannon Conservancy Crimson & Clover. It’s a blend of Petite Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Zinfandel. SRP – $15
- Bringing #SundaySupper to All by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey Mustard Baked Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings - Pair with the 2010 McManis Family Zinfandel.
- S’mores Brownies: Desserts Make #SundaySupper by Mama Mommy Mom - Pair with a Port-style Zinfandel. Look for the Terra d’Oro Zinfandel Port. SRP – $24
- Tandoori Salmon Rolled in Whole Wheat Couscous by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz - Tandoori spices are so aromatic! Pair with an equally aromatic wine with a bit of residual sugar. Look for the 2010 Lucien Albrecht Gewürztraminer Reserve from Alsace. SRP – $20
- Whole Wheat Macaroni with Spinach Pecan Pesto-Enjoying by Soni’s Food for Thought - This would be great with Vermentino; a Mediterranean grape that is fabulous with Pesto. Try the 2011 Tablas Creek Vermentino. SRP – $27
- Southwestern Chicken Wraps Fam Friends Food - Pair this with Rosé. One of my favorites is the 2011 Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare. It’s a blend of both red and white wine grapes – Grenache, Mourvèdre, Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, and Cinsault that has enough body to stand up to the spice in this dish. SRP – $16
- Ahi Tuna Salad Family Style Family Foodie - Pair with the 2011 Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare.
Please join the #SundaySupper fun. Every week at 3:00pm ET the fabulous recipes are showcased. At 7:00 pm ET, we will start our live chat. Join us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all of our followers.
You might want to say hello to our friends at Merrell too: www.merrell.com
- Beat The Heat #SundaySupper – Hot Wine Pairings for “Cool” Food (enofylzwineblog.com)