I love living in Northern California for a multitude of reasons. Among them is my proximity to wine country. I have wine country within 30 minutes to the East of where I live, 45 minutes to the South, and Napa and Sonoma are less 90 minutes away. Of course, being a certified wine geek, I love wine. But I also love wine country. I often recommend to friends that don’t (yet;-) drink wine they take a drive to wine country anyway. I make this recommendation for two reasons. First wine country is just beautiful, especially this time of year (as you can see from the photo below) when there are harbingers of Springtime abound. The other reason I recommend they venture into wine country is the food. You’ll find some of the best places to eat in wine country, whether you drop in at a road-side Deli, or (if you’re lucky and patient) you go to a world-renown restaurant like the French Laundry!
And speaking of great food, check out the sensational Springtime recipes the #SundaySupper family presenting this week! Whether it’s St. Patrick’s Day green, green food or spring inspired, the week’s #SundaySupper menu is sure to please your taste buds! My wine pairing recommendations are italicized, Click on the name of the recommended wine to find out where to buy.
Pair these breakfast dishes, and bread with a Brut sparkling wine, which is the most food friendly style of sparkling wine. One of my favorites is Mumm Brut Prestige. It shows biscuit, sweet citrus, red fruit and subtle floral aromas. and cherry , vanilla and citrus flavors with a creamy mouthfeel. I like the
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
Pair these dishes with Pinot Grigio. Look for the 2011 Alois Lageder Pinot Grigio Alto Adige.
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
Pair these dishes with Riesling. I love the 2011 Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling. It’s off-dry with vibrant acidity and a beautiful white peach, grapefruit and mineral character. Or if you’re ready to switch it up a bit, and try one of something new, try with one of my perennial faves, the 2011 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc-Viognier. It’s a blend of 79% Chenin Blanc, 21% Viognier that is low alcohol (12%) with an aromatic, juicy grapefruit, melon, passionfruit, and baked stone fruit character with great acidity that make it a versatile food pairing partner.
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
Pair these dishes with Sauvignon Blanc, I recommend the 2011 Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc. It has a stone fruit, citrus and fresh tropical fruit aromas and flavors that is a manifestation of Springtime in a glass!
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
Try these dishes with a glass of Rosé, which is an underrated, food-friendly wine. I’d generally recommend looking for 2012 vintage, but many are just now being released. A perennial favorite of mine is produced in Spain by Bodegas Muga. Look for the 2011 Bodegas Muga Rosado. It’s a Tempranillo-based Rosé with floral, citrus, melon and strawberry character. Want to know my other food and wine pairing tip? If I’m not sure about a food and wine pairing, I reach for Rosé!
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
Pair these dishes with Pinot Noir, the Chef’s wine. Look for the 2011 Hahn Winery California Pinot Noir. It has wonderful mixed berry, lavender, and spice aromatics, that follow onto the palate.
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
Pair these desserts with Törley Doux Sparkling Tokaji. It’s a rare sparkling Tokaji, a wine produced in Hungary from a blend of blend of Furmint and Hárslevelű grape varieties. It’s layered and concentrated with an intriguing dried citrus, tropical fruit, wildflowers, and honey character.
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
I recommend you try these desserts with the 2010 Mourvedre Mon Doux
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream by Buffy and George
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Here is the rest of this week’s Springtime #SundaySupper menu!
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!