One of my favorite Bay Area food and wine events, the 9th annual Dark & Delicious Petite Sirah™ is coming to Alameda in two week on Friday, February 20th! Dark & Delicious (“D&D”) is the preeminent annual Petite Sirah event in the world. It’s put on each year by P.S. I Love You, an association of Petite Sirah growers, producers and winemakers.
In a nutshell, it’s 50+ wineries pouring Petite Sirah (“P.S.”), collaborating with fabulous Napa and Bay Area restaurants and/or food caterers for a food and wine extravaganza.
For the uninitiated, here’s a quick 411 on P.S.
- Created by François Durif, it is the love child of a noble grape, Syrah, and an obscure peasant grape Peloursin in 1880
- 90% of the world’s P.S. vineyards are in California
- Produces big, masculine, typically ink-colored wines that tend to be tannic with moderate to high-acidity
- Sometimes (increasingly it seems) referred to as Durif
What makes this event special for me is…
- It’s a”one-stop” tasting of P.S. from the finest producers throughout Cali. It’s a great chance to experience the diversity of P.S. both geographically, and stylistically.
- It’s a great opportunity to get to know P.S. as a food partner beyond the typical steak and BBQ because you get a chance to try all manner of gustatory delights from savory to sweet and everything in between.
- It’s offers great value! For the price of a couple of Napa Valley wine tastings, you can eat and drink (responsibly of course;-) to your heart’s content.
- It has the most evocatively appropriate name of all the wine events I attend…it put’s a smile on my face whenever I think “Dark & Delicious”!
I’ve been the last several years and it’s gotten better each year. I expect this year will be the best yet!
Check out the list of wineries (*new for 2015) scheduled to pour this year! .
Here are the details!
Tickets are $65 per person (free parking). There are also discount tickets available ($55) for group of 6+. The more the merrier!
The event has sold out in the past so put some pep in your step! For more details and tickets click here.
Remember, in order to maximize your enjoyment and learning at public tastings:
- Wear dark, comfortable clothes
- Skip the perfume and cologne
Hope to see you there!
Related posts you might enjoy!
- Recap of Dark & Delicious 2013 The Petite Sirah Event of the Year
- Recap of 6th Annual Dark and Delicious – The Petite Sirah Event of the Year
- Petite Sirah Smackdown; Round 1 – 12 Petite Sirahs Blind-tasted
- Petite Sirah Smackdown; Round 2 – 8 Petite Sirahs Blind-tasted
Martin Redmond is a Financial Executive by day, and a certified wine geek with latent foodie tendencies the rest of the time. In addition to the wine lifestyle and food he enjoys family, fitness and traveling. He likes to get thoughts of wine off his mind by sharing experiences on his ENOFYLZ Wine blog, which features wine reviews, wine country travel, and wine and food pairings.
Follow me on Twitter @martindredmond for all things wine, and since I’m a wino, with latent foodie tendencies, you’ll also find food and wine pairings, and food related stuff! Become a fan and join ENOFYLZ Wine Blog on Facebook. Cheers! This article is original to ENOFYLZ Wine Blog.com. Copyright 2015 ENOFYLZ Wine Blog. All rights reserved.