This week’s #SundaySupper theme is all about “man” food. I find it interesting that just as there are foods that considered “masculine” versus “feminine”, there are wines that are considered “masculine”, and “feminine”.
What is a masculine wine you ask? I think of it a masculine wine as a full-bodied wine rather than a light-bodied or delicate wine. For example, a Cabernet Sauvignon, or Petite Sirah, or a Port would be considered masculine compared to a most white wines, Rosé, Sparkling wines or Pinot Noir.
But when it come to pairing food with wine, I don’t think of it in male vs. female terms. I stick to one of the most essential wine and food pairing guidelines. And that is pair the weight of the food with the weight of wine.
Speaking of wine and food pairing tips here are few more that are especially appropriate for the items on this week’s #SundaySupper menu:
- High impact cooking methods like grilling, and smoking move chicken and turkey over to the “dark” side of the wine and food pairing spectrum. Think pink or red wine!
- Can’t bear a red wine because it’s too hot? Think Pink! A dry Rosé is very food friendly. Good Rosés combine the crispness and refreshment of white wine (serve chilled) with unusual and intriguing flavors–some of the red fruits typical of red wine, but also notes of tea, citrus, strawberries, or watermelon. One of my favorites is the Tablas Creek Patelin de Tablas Rosé.
- Finally, if you heavily sauce chicken, turkey, and pork, pair to the sauce rather than the type of meat.
Check out this week’s fantastic menu of “Man” food recipes put together by the #SundaySupper team, and my wine pairing recommendations.
Pair these starters with an off-dry (slightly sweet) sparkling wine. Bubbly goes with virtually everything thanks to its palate cleansing acidity and effervescence. It pairs especially well with fried food, and salty foods. Look for Mumm Napa Cuvee M. It has a crisp, refreshing, easy to like peach, pear, vanilla and subtle caramel character. And since it’s slightly sweet it’ll stand up to the spicier starters.
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
Pair these dishes with Petite Sirah, an under appreciated grape variety that is fabulous with BBQ, burgers, ribs, grilled and smoked meats, and foods with Latin flavors. Look for the 2011 The Crusher Grower’s Selection Petite Sirah. It’s a blend of mostly Petite Sirah and Merlot, plus Cabernet Sauvignon and a few Portuguese grape varieties with a bold, full-bodied, blackberry, black cherry, white pepper, smoke meat, and spiced vanilla character.
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
Pair these dishes with an off-dry Riesling. One of my favorites is the 2012 Chateau Ste. Michelle-Dr. Loosen Riesling Columbia Valley Eroica – It’s off-dry with vibrant acidity and a beautiful white peach, grapefruit and mineral character.
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
Pair these dishes with Chianti from Italy. A perennial favorite of mine is the 2009 Marchesi de Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva. It shows a mouth-filling dried red fruit, sweet spice, and dried herb character with a very satisfying finish.
Pair these dishes with Pinot Noir. I recommend the 2012 Belle Glos Meiomi Pinot Noir. It shows a supple texture and an enticing plum, tart cherry, cranberry, and spiced vanilla character.
Pair these desserts with Port. Look for Warre’s “Otima” 10-year-old Tawny Port. It’s a rich tawny with a toffee, caramel, honey and dried fruits character.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Pair these desserts with a Moscato d’Asti from Italy. Look for the 2013 Saracco Moscato d’Asti. It shows a sweet, fragrant, delicate, floral, tropical fruit, apple and a hint of honey character.
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Happy Father’s Day to the man in your life!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.