I always have mixed feelings about Labor Day weekend. The last few years, our friends and neighbors have hosted a Labor Day Cookout. They always throw one heck of a party. But, at the same time Labor Day heralds the end of the summer, my favorite season of the year. Well, at least we go out with a bang!
Speaking of going out with a bang, check out this week’s #SundaySupper menu. It’s dynamite! My recommended wine pairing are italicized. Cheers!
Pair these sensational starters, snacks, salads, and sides with sparkling wine. A sparkling wine will instantly give your cookout a celebratory feel, and sparkling wine is one of the most versatile wines for pairing with foods. A Blanc de Noir style sparkling wine would make a great match for this diverse palate of flavors. A Blanc de Noir is made with dark-skinned grapes used to make red wines like Pinot Noir , Pinot Meunier and/or other grapes. I recommend the Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noir. Its red fruit and vanilla aromas are followed by creamy red fruit and citrus flavors.
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
Pair these delectable dishes with a cookout favorite – Zinfandel! I recommend the 2010 McManis Family Vineyard Zinfandel. It shows plenty of ripe red fruits, vanilla and a bit of spice.
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
Pair these main and side dishes with a red Rhône blend. What’s great about blends is that the combination of grape varietals creates a wine that is greater than the sum of its parts. Such is the case with my recommended wine the 2010 Bonny Doon Vineyard Contra Old Vine Field Blend. It’s a rich blend of Carigane, Syrah, Zinfandel, and Petite Sirah loaded with dark fruit, spice, and a bit of smoke aromas and flavors.
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Don’t forget about desserts when it comes to pairing wine with foods. A wine with dessert is a great way to cap off a meal!
Pair these desserts with a sweet Moscato wine. It’s a great match for fruit-themed dessert. Try the 2011 Redtree Moscato with its slightly spritzy nectarine and rose petal flavors.
- Lightened lemon pound cake by The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine – Pair with a Pedro Ximenez (“PX”). PX is a ribald sweet sherry with an acidic backbone from Spain. Look for the Lustau Pedro Ximenz “San Emilio”
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP – Pair with the Yalumba Muscat Museum Reserve, a dessert wine from Australia with rose petal, ginger and orange peel aromas, and rich raisined fruit, and spice flavors.
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!
We’d also love to feature your Cookout recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!